Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Phan Theit

Phan Thiet: famous for fish sauce. Other than that, this costal town in the province of Binh Thuan is not known for much else. It produces around 20 million litres of fish sauce per year. Before arriving, I was told that the town had a distinctive and overpoweringly fishy smell. I explored the town today and happily found that is not the case.

I'm waiting for my Vietnamese partner, Van Ahn, to arrive tomorrow and I tried to take advantage of the time on my own to check out some sites that may be of interest to the Canadian students. My expedition lasted only about two hours because I quickly succumbed to the draining heat. The temperature in Saigon has been as high as 47 C with humidity these past few days, and it feels similar here. Walking about is a bit of a slog.

Here are some photos from my walk around Phan Thiet...

In Binh Thuan province, acres and acres of fruit plantations...I love tropical fruit and was happy to finally discover what the plants...

...for dragon fruit look like. Here's an unripe fruit...

...and some riper ones.
Along the river, there was lots of action amongst the colourful boats...


The market in town proved to be equally entertaining.



Sunrise at Phan Thiet.

Jackfruit trees.
Duc Thanh School, a cultural and historic site. Around 1910, Ho Chi Minh stayed and taught at the school.
Bao Tang Ho Chi Minh Museum in Phan Thiet.

I hope to explore more of the town on my next visit which will be next month. Here are a few more photos from around Phan Thiet...



2 comments:

  1. So good to see the beautiful place where you are! It looks stunning from the photos! (You have a knack for photography. I think a travel book is in your future ... )
    : )
    Take good care Moni and please stay in touch when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's write a travel book together!! Wouldn't that be fun? I'll do my best to keep in touch...and please send me updates from your end! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete