Thursday, April 28, 2011

Is it lunchtime yet?

There are many great things about my job - the people I work with, the office environment, the casual atmosphere, the flexibility - but one of the most unexpected and wonderful surprises has been lunchtime! I'd like to introduce Huong...

She cooks lunch for the office staff every day and she charges us each 30,000 VND ($1.50 Canadian). Around 11:30 am, the smells of highly-anticipated Vietnamese dishes start to waft through the office. At noon, we all eagerly head for the lunch room/kitchen where she cooks and serves up a fresh, hot meal. It's the best Vietnamese food I've had so far! This was today's lunchtime feast...

This is the sweet and sour soup...

My new favourite dish - a beautiful salad with crunchy green papaya, shredded carrots and loads of fresh basil and mint.

And another favourite of mine - freshly fried peanuts with coarse salt.

I love the fact that Huong sits with us and shares the meal. I hope to get to know her better in the coming months...who knows, maybe she'll share some of her cooking secrets with me and I can become half the cook she is?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I'm looking forward to dinner when you get home, LOL! Just kidding! Food is one of the great things over there and to have it fresh like that must be amazing. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, nice...looking tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, makes me hungry just looking at it. it looks so good! are there many veggie options for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Huong makes veggie dishes especially for me :) I'm having a very difficult time finding vegetarian options in local restaurant so I'm extremely appreciative of Huong's cooking efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god the food looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, beans and maize - reminds me of being Malawi! You will have to have a proper feast when you get here! The fruit is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete