Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Just the factoids, please.

I've been thinking a lot about facts and factoids recently. I like the word "factoid." It sounds neat. What does it mean and how is it different than a "fact"?

Well, we can verify or prove facts. A factoid is "an item of unreliable information that is repeated so often that it becomes accepted as fact." Norman Mailer is credited with coining the term and the Washington Times referred to his term as "something that looks like a fact, could be a fact, but in fact is not a fact."

Over the past few months, I've been reading about Vietnam and sifting through content trying to discern what is fact and what is factoid. I've been reading about Vietnam's history, people, culture - and at the same time, trying to peel back layers of bias, unravel half-truths, and figure out what really happened in this country?

Here are some of things I've come across during my reading...fact or factoid?

* The Hanoi Hilton (the Hoa Lo Prison) served each new 'guest' a rice cake, tea and a kick in the groin upon their arrival.

* There are more waterbuffalo per capita in Vietnam than in any other nation.

* Agent Orange defoliated 100% of over 1.6 million acres of forest.

* 4.8 million Vietnamese people were exposed to Agent Orange, resulting in 400,000 people being killed or maimed, and 500,000 children born with birth defects.

These are just a few examples...it will be interesting to see how much truth there is to what I've read, how many misconceptions I unwittingly hold, and how little I know about a fascinating country: Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment