Monday, May 2, 2011

Wowed in Lao

I’m in love with Laos. I was worried that I’d romanticized my memories of Laos and I’d be disappointed. I’m going to date myself, but I was here back in 1998 on an overland trip from Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Cambodia-Laos. I can’t believe the trip was completely unplanned and by way of trains, buses and hitchhiking in the back of pickup trucks. Those days are over. I’m much lazier now. This time I paid up for the luxury of flying and pre-booked a hotel. I’m definitely getting old.

It’s a quick 50-minute flight from Hanoi and the easiest visa-on-entry process I’ve ever experienced. Fill in form. Pay $42. Stamp passport. Visa issued. It took less than 5 minutes.

I’m surprised at how little has changed here. Vientiane still feels like a town and to think of it as a capital city is a stretch of the imagination. The streets are quite, the people gentle, and the pace is relaxed – all the opposite of Hanoi. It’s nice to have a break from the ceaseless honking. It’s nice to cross the street and not feel like it’s a major endeavor. It’s nice to be able to hear yourself think. It’s nice to have the concept of vegetarianism understood. Don't get me wrong - I like Vietnam, but I the last two weeks have been at a frantic pace in hectic cities.

Last night, I watched a beautiful, black, stormy sky roll into Vientiane. I wandered around the quiet streets thinking about how romantic it is here in Laos. Even strolling around the streets alone you can’t help but feel the romance. There was a lovely cool rain and I was in bliss.

So, as I sit here in a café, gazing at the Mekong river and sipping a sublime lime shake, I’ll share some highlights of my brief long-weekend here in Laos…

Monks on the streets…there’s something deeply comforting about seeing monks in their saffron robes…
The beautiful Buddhist temples and stuppas scattered throughout the city…


Seeing almost as many bicycles as scooters…

Having an excellent massage to finally work out that kink in my shoulder from 2 weeks ago. I went to a place that employs the visually-impaired. My masseur, Khamlai, was amazing!

Seeing the variety of goods in the backs of trucks…

Services that give pause for thought…(I have to admit, I did consider the #12 and for 25,000 kip it seemed like a steal...)

And life all around...

Cute girl...
Flowers for temple offering...
Rice vendor at market...

Roadside fruit vendor...
Broom vendor...
Wow...
Laundry drying in front of house...

Sidewalk shoe-smith...
At the food market...something with fur still on it...it scared me...

Rice-container vendor...
I will definitely be back to revisit more of beautiful Laos.

4 comments:

  1. Amazing photos! I so want to go there! Like Cambodia, seems like one of those places that you can just feel so comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it certainly is! If you liked Cambodia, I'm pretty sure you'd like Laos :) I think of you guys all the time here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such amazing photos once again, Moni. This place REALLY struck my travel bug.
    p.s. Your blogs make me hungry. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam-tam: you know there's only one way to take care of that bug :) Come visit me! I will feed and water you with wonderful things!

    Ale: I'm excited for you to come here and discover all this for yourselves. I'm sure you and China will have wonderful time exploring Asia - and yes, I'm disappointed we won't be able to meet up here, but excited to see where and when we will! I'm positive it will happen sooner or later :)

    ReplyDelete