Friday, February 25, 2011

Full Circle

I've now completed the full VSO cycle, from selection to interview to pre-departure training to placement and finally, re-integration. Yes, I've been re-integrated back into Canadian society.

What does that mean?

Well a big part of the 'reintegration process' is the VSO Reintegration Weekend that takes place in Ottawa. It's offered to Returned Volunteers (RVs) within a year of returning to Canada. I just attended the 3-day event this past weekend in Ottawa and it was great!

The weekend:
- provided RVs an opportunity to share experiences with other RVs
- helped RVs with reverse culture shock and managing the impact of re-entry
- helped RVs to think about next steps in their personal and professional life
- enabled RVs to explore ways of staying involved with international development and VSO
- allowed VSO to gather feedback that will help VSO improve their work

When I first received the invitation to attend the Reintegration Weekend I was quite surprised. I thought that since I had returned early from Malawi, I wouldn't be asked to take part. I spoke to staff at the VSO office and expressed my interest in the event - and also my over-riding sense of guilt! Did someone like me deserve to attend? Was it a good use of VSO's resources to fly me across the county and then put me up in a hotel? They assured me that my attendance was important - not only for me to process my experience, but also for them to receive my feedback and learn more about why I had returned early as this could help them in the future with their processes and systems. Well, that sounded reasonable to me.

So, how was it?

It was an amazing weekend of discussion, debate, learning, sharing, and laughter. The other RVs were wonderfully honest in sharing their stories and open to hearing mine. We were all amazed at how much we had in common in terms of our placement experience and often found ourselves nodding and saying, "Me too!" It was also wonderful to hear the differences - as this gives me insight into the possibilities that my next placement may hold. The weekend helped me to re-frame my experience and go deeper into what I've learned. It also gave me the opportunity to connect with some truly inspiring individuals. And, it's made me even more excited about my next placement with CUSO-VSO!

No comments:

Post a Comment