Saturday, December 17, 2011

Clear Winners.



Even though there was no contest or my usual food hunt, I must share some great food finds in NYC. I've spent the past few weeks feeling a bit aimless since I haven't been able to establish a food target that I could focus on and review.

It's probably a good thing.

I recall the Great Cupcake Hunt of 2010 and in hindsight, maybe visiting 48 cupcake shops/bakeries in 3 weeks was not one of the best decisions I've ever made. I mean what did I really accomplish by the end of it?

Yes, I may found the best Red Velvet Cupcake in NYC, but the added inches to my girth definitely offset any feelings of satisfaction. Oh, and let's not forget my 3-week sugar-induced belly-aching. And the sugar-crash crankiness. And feeling hangry (hungry + angry) all the time from not eating proper, real food.

But ironically, I just don't seem to learn.

So, despite the lessons not learned and not having a food focus, I've still somehow inadvertently managed to find what I believe might be the greatest pastry that ever lived. It is beyond description, so here are some photos to express what words cannot.

Meet the DKA. The outside:

And the lovely innards:


This little bad boy is from Dominque Ansel Bakery, a nice little cafe just up the street in Soho. The DKA is their signature item. The website describes the DKA as:

DKA: Dominque's Kouign Amann: tender, flaky, croissant-like dough with a caramelized crunchy crust.

I would suggest the description be re-written as:

DKA: Dominque Kicks Ass: with his heavenly, luscious, other-worldly pastry parcel made of layer after layer of sugar and butter.

So, what the heck is a kouign amann? And who cares? Well, you'll care after you've had one. Trust me.

I didn't know what it was either up until a few days ago, when my evil friend in NYC passed along an article from the New York Times. I love/hate this friend because he has this thoughtful/awful habit of clipping New York Times articles related to food, restaurant reviews, etc. and setting them aside. He then mails them to me, or better/worse, presents them to me when I arrive in the city. I then feel excited/cursed, because after reading them, I feel compelled to go and see (eat) for myself. I've recently retaliated by bringing back treats from my newspaper- inspired outings and hoisting them onto my evil friend. I'm taking him down with me. He now admits gaining weight during my visits and frantically hitting the gym immediately after my departure. Serves him right.

No comments:

Post a Comment